The Klaus Diaries: Eight Snakes Writhing

Day Eight: January 1 - Bara Dube


The camp sprawled out before me, a patchwork of fear and power stitched into the dry African bush. From the thick undergrowth, I raised my binoculars and scanned the layout. Makeshift tents leaned into the warm breeze, crates of weapons and drugs lay haphazardly stacked, and guards patrolled with an indifference bred from misplaced confidence. These men thought their leader—Bara Dube—was invincible. They were wrong.

I shifted my gaze to the tablet resting on my lap. The surveillance footage flickered on the screen, showing Bara overseeing an execution earlier that week. The video was grainy, but the savagery was unmistakable—Bara didn’t just kill; he made a performance out of it. The man in the footage had been dragged forward by two of Bara’s goons, his face streaked with dirt and tears. He begged, voice cracking, for mercy. Bara had towered over him, sneering, his machete gleaming in the sunlight as he barked orders. It wasn’t enough to shoot the man; that was too impersonal for Bara. Instead, he gripped the man by his collar and marched him to the edge of the snake pit, laughing as the doomed man clawed at his hands.

The moment played in haunting detail. Bara had paused, as if to savor the terror in his victim’s eyes, before tossing him into the pit like discarded trash. The man’s screams were piercing, desperate, as the snakes surged over him, their hissing drowned out by the guttural cries for salvation that would never come. Bara had watched, unmoving, his expression one of grim satisfaction. The screams lingered long after the footage ended, echoing in my mind like a warning bell.



I clenched my jaw and set the tablet aside. Men like Bara didn’t just leave bodies behind—they left scars on the world. Irredeemable monsters who thrived on the pain they caused. This wasn’t about justice; it was about balancing the scales. The Reaper demanded his toll, and tonight I would collect it.

The dossier lay open beside me, detailing Bara’s crimes. Extortion, trafficking, murder—all brutal, all efficient. His network reached across nations, poisoning entire communities. He didn’t leave survivors; he left examples. Irredeemable. The kind of monster you don’t kill out of duty—you kill because the world breathes easier without them.

The Lay of the Land

I crouched lower, my body blending into the bush, and activated my comm link. “Control, I’m in position. What’s the latest intel on Bara and his crew?”

The elf’s calm, clipped voice responded through the earpiece. “We’ve tracked Bara’s key associates. Two lieutenants are stationed on the west side near the armory, likely overseeing supply distribution. Bara himself is in the central tent, flanked by two bodyguards. Patrols are lighter on the eastern perimeter, but the guards near the snake pit are stationary and armed.”

“And his movements?”

“Bara’s been keeping to his tent most of the day, but he’s known to make rounds when the camp quiets down. He’ll check the armory and his vehicle personally before midnight.”

“Good. Anything else?”

“We’ve intercepted some chatter. They’re on edge after losing contact with a convoy two days ago. Expect them to be jumpy, but the gaps in the patrols should remain exploitable.”

I nodded to myself, formulating a strategy. The snake pit caught my eye first. A crude hole in the ground, its writhing contents unmistakable even from this distance. I watched as a pair of guards lingered near it, laughing and gesturing to the pit—their tone too far off for me to hear, but the malice in their postures clear. This wasn’t just an execution tool; it was a message. Bara’s way of reminding everyone that crossing him meant death in the most primal way possible.

The guards’ movements were sloppy. Patrols were uneven, with gaps I could exploit. There was a single truck parked near the edge of the camp, its driver smoking lazily beside it. The armory was close to the center, a cluster of crates under tarpaulins. I’d need to plant an explosive there, both as a distraction and to cripple their operation after the mission was done.

The eastern perimeter would be my entry point. From there, I’d move toward the armory, eliminating key guards along the way. Bara’s tent was the final stop—a swift, clean kill. The skull was all that mattered.

I powered down the comm link and slid the earpiece into place. The plan was set. The Reaper was waiting, and I wouldn’t keep him long.



Silent Carnage

The sun dipped below the horizon, shadows stretching long across the camp like the fingers of a looming predator. I moved, silent and deliberate, weaving through the bush, every step calculated and every breath held. My first target was a perimeter guard, a kid really, no older than twenty. His rifle dangled from one shoulder, and he hummed a tune to himself, unaware he was living his last moments. I crouched low, advancing like a shadow, my knife glinting faintly in the dying light. One quick motion—a pull across his throat—and the hum turned to a gurgle as blood poured from the wound. His hands scrabbled at his neck, useless against the inevitable. I caught his collapsing body and dragged it into the underbrush, wiping my blade clean on his uniform.

The deeper I pushed into the camp, the thicker the tension became. The air reeked of sweat, gun oil, and cooking fires, but there was another layer to it—an almost electric hum of violence waiting to erupt. Every sound around me felt magnified: the rustle of boots on dirt, the faint scrape of a weapon against cloth, and the low murmurs of guards who had no idea death was weaving its way through their ranks. The camp was alive with an uneasy energy, as though even the guards could sense that tonight would not end as they expected. I slipped between stacks of crates, keeping low, my boots barely making a sound on the packed dirt.

Two guards stood near the snake pit, their voices carrying over the ambient noise as they joked about their next "guest." Their laughter was sharp and cruel, echoing in the stillness. The pit itself writhed ominously in the firelight, snakes coiling and shifting in anticipation, their movements almost hypnotic. I crouched behind a stack of crates, my muscles coiled as tightly as the creatures below. I waited for the right moment. The first guard turned his head slightly, exposing his chest. My arm snapped forward, the knife sailing through the air and burying itself deep in his sternum. His laughter cut off with a wet gasp as he staggered back, his body collapsing like a puppet with its strings severed. The second guard spun around, his mouth open in a silent scream, but I was already on him. My hand clamped over his mouth as my blade found his ribs, sliding in with a sickening crunch. Blood gushed over my fingers, hot and sticky, as his body twitched violently before going limp. I lowered him gently to the ground, my breathing steady and controlled, my heartbeat a drumbeat of focus.

The pit behind them stirred with the vibrations of their fall. The snakes hissed and writhed, their movements growing agitated as though they could sense the fresh corpses nearby. For a moment, I stared into the abyss, watching the creatures twist and coil over one another. The sheer primal horror of it was a reminder of what awaited anyone who crossed Bara Dube. But there was no time to linger; the mission was far from over.



The armory was my next target. I moved through the camp with precision, pausing in the shadows as a patrol passed within inches of me, their boots crunching on the dry earth. The faint scent of sweat and tobacco clung to them as they exchanged idle chatter, oblivious to the carnage just yards away. At the center of the camp, crates of ammunition and weaponry were stacked under a tarpaulin. I slipped beneath the cover, my fingers working quickly to place a small explosive device between two crates of grenades. The timer blinked red, a silent promise of destruction that would tear through their entire operation when the moment came.

As I turned to leave, a crack of a twig underfoot froze me. The sound echoed louder than it should have, and I cursed myself silently. A sharp voice rang out behind me, followed by the unmistakable cocking of a rifle. My cover was blown. I pivoted, my pistol already in my hand, and fired a single suppressed shot. The guard dropped, his body crumpling like a marionette with its strings cut. But the damage was done. His shout had cut through the camp like a blade, and the first distant cries of alarm reached my ears. Voices shouted orders, boots pounded against the dirt, and flashlights flickered through the shadows. Chaos was about to erupt, and I was in the heart of it.

Bullets and Blades

Gunfire erupted as I darted between tents, the sharp crack of rifles slicing through the night like shards of glass. My suppressed pistol barked in response, the recoil a familiar rhythm in my hands. One of the guards dropped, clutching his chest as his rifle clattered to the ground. I didn’t stop to see if he was dead. Another rounded the corner, his machete gleaming in the firelight, his face twisted in a snarl. He swung wildly, the blade slicing through the air with a whistle. I sidestepped, letting the momentum carry him forward, and drove my own blade into his gut. He gasped, the air leaving his lungs in a rush as I twisted the knife. His eyes went wide, and then he crumpled to the dirt like a sack of stones.

Two more guards charged in, their boots pounding against the dirt, shouting orders in a chaotic tangle of voices. I ducked low, grabbing the fallen machete, its handle slick with blood, and hurled it with all the strength I could muster. The blade spun end over end, a deadly blur, before embedding itself in the lead guard’s throat. He staggered, gurgling, his hands clawing at the protruding steel. His companion froze, eyes flicking between me and his dying comrade, paralyzed by the suddenness of the attack.

It was all the time I needed. I closed the distance in three quick strides and drove my knife up under his chin. The blade slid through flesh and bone with a sickening crunch, emerging just below his ear. His body convulsed once, blood spurting in a warm arc across my arm, before he went limp. I lowered him gently to the ground, the noise of his fall muffled by the dirt.

Blood sprayed and pooled around me, soaking into the earth as I moved forward, my heart pounding in rhythm with the chaos. More gunfire echoed from deeper in the camp, each crack of a rifle a sharp reminder that the enemy was still hunting me. The staccato bursts of light illuminated the camp in brief, chaotic flashes. I pressed my back against a tent pole, my breathing steady despite the adrenaline coursing through me.



I could hear the frantic voices of more guards converging, their shouts urgent and overlapping in the chaos. They screamed warnings, barking for reinforcements as the pounding of their boots against the dirt grew louder and more frantic. Every shadow seemed to come alive as the camp erupted into a frenzy. I fired off two more shots, each one finding its mark. Two silhouettes crumpled to the ground in the distance, their weapons clattering noisily as they fell. The sharp, metallic scent of gunpowder mingled with the iron tang of blood, saturating the air and clinging to the back of my throat. I crouched low behind a stack of crates, sliding the empty magazine from my pistol with practiced precision. The familiar click of the fresh magazine slotting into place was a small anchor in the storm of chaos around me.

A shadow loomed to my right, moving faster than the others. I spun, just in time to see the glint of a blade in the dim light. The machete came down hard, its force sending a jolt through my arm as I caught it on the reinforced grip of my pistol. The impact jarred my shoulder, but I held firm, twisting my wrist to deflect the blade to the side. My free hand lashed out in a sharp, brutal strike, the butt of my pistol smashing into the attacker’s throat. He staggered back, choking and gasping, his machete dropping to the ground. I didn’t give him a chance to recover. My knife found his chest in a swift, decisive motion, driving deep between his ribs. His eyes widened in shock, blood bubbling from his lips as I pushed him back against a stack of crates. I yanked the blade free with a sharp, wet sound, letting his body slump to the dirt.

The noise was deafening now, the camp fully alive with the chaos of a battle they weren’t prepared for. Gunfire cracked sharply through the night, each burst of light illuminating the pandemonium for a split second before plunging it back into shadow. Flashlights cut through the smoke and dust, beams darting frantically as guards searched for a target they couldn’t see. I ducked low, weaving between tents and crates, every movement calculated to stay one step ahead of the converging forces.

A trio of guards emerged from the other side of the camp, their weapons sweeping the area. One of them shouted, pointing in my direction, and they opened fire. Bullets tore through the crates around me, splinters and debris flying in all directions. I rolled to the side, coming up behind a stack of barrels. Popping out from cover, I fired twice, dropping one guard instantly. The other two hesitated, their confidence faltering, and I used the moment to close the gap. I hit the nearest guard with a brutal shoulder check, slamming him into the side of a tent pole. His weapon clattered to the ground as I drove my knife into his abdomen, twisting hard before pulling it free. The third guard turned to run, but a single shot from my pistol ended his retreat, the bullet punching clean through his back.

The flashlights grew closer, their beams dancing wildly as more guards converged. I could hear their frantic commands, the panic lacing their voices. They were no longer hunting—they were scrambling to stay alive. The scent of burning wood and blood was thick, the camp now fully engulfed in chaos. My muscles were taut, my breathing steady despite the adrenaline surging through me. I reloaded again, the sound of the slide racking into place sharp and satisfying against the backdrop of carnage.

I pressed forward, every step deliberate. A guard lunged at me from the side, a rusted knife clutched in his hand. I sidestepped, catching his arm and twisting it sharply until I heard the pop of his shoulder dislocating. He screamed, dropping his weapon, and I silenced him with a quick slash across the throat. Blood sprayed across the front of my shirt, warm and sticky, but I didn’t pause.

The largest tent loomed ahead, its outline framed by the flickering light of nearby fires. I could feel the weight of the moment settling in my chest. This was it. The heart of the beast. Inside, he was waiting.

The Beast Unleashed

Bara stood in the flickering light of a lantern, his massive frame casting a long shadow across the tent. His machete hung loose in one hand, but his posture was anything but relaxed. He was a predator, coiled and ready to strike, sizing me up with eyes that burned with a deadly mix of fury and calculation. “You’ve got some guts coming here,” he growled, his voice like gravel being ground under steel. “But guts won’t save you.”

I didn’t reply. Words were wasted on men like him, and silence was the only answer that mattered.



He moved first, a blur of muscle and steel as he charged, the machete arcing through the air with deadly precision. I threw myself to the side, the blade whistling past me and slicing through the fabric of a nearby cot, splitting it cleanly in two. The force of his attack was staggering, and it left no doubt—this wasn’t a man who fought; this was a man who killed. I countered with a quick slash, my knife carving a jagged line across his forearm. Blood welled instantly, but Bara only grunted, the wound barely slowing him.

His free hand shot out like a viper, catching me by the collar before I could react. With a roar, he lifted me clean off the ground, his strength overwhelming and undeniable. My boots dangled uselessly, my knife arm pinned against his iron grip. The air grew thin in my lungs as he held me there, his teeth bared in a savage snarl.

I twisted violently, bringing my knife down in a desperate arc. The blade found his shoulder, burying itself deep in muscle. Bara roared in pain, a sound that rattled the very fabric of the tent. His grip faltered, and I wrenched free, landing hard on the dirt floor. He swung wildly with the machete, the blade a deadly blur that grazed my side. The sting was sharp and immediate, warmth spreading as blood seeped through my shirt. I staggered back, clutching the wound, but I couldn’t stop. Stopping meant death.

We began to circle each other, both of us bloodied and breathing hard. Bara’s chest heaved with exertion, but his eyes still burned with that terrifying, animalistic fury. He flexed his shoulders, the gash on his arm dripping steadily, but it was as though the pain only fueled him. For a moment, he even smiled, a cruel twist of his lips that sent a chill down my spine. The lantern light danced across his face, casting shadows that made him look less like a man and more like the monster he truly was.

Then he lunged again. This time, I sidestepped, the movement instinctive and fluid, driving my shoulder into his chest as he overshot. The impact sent him stumbling back, his boots skidding in the loose dirt. His footing wavered, and I pressed the advantage, slashing at his leg. The blade bit deep, severing tendons and forcing him to his knees. He bellowed, the sound echoing through the camp like a wounded animal’s cry, raw and primal.

He swung the machete upward in a desperate attempt to catch me, but his strength was faltering. I deflected the blow with my knife, the clash of steel ringing out sharply. Blood dripped steadily from both of us, pooling on the dirt floor as we locked eyes. His were filled with rage, mine with grim resolve.

With a final burst of strength, I planted my boot squarely against his chest and pushed hard. Bara’s massive frame teetered for a moment, his arms flailing wildly as gravity claimed him. For an instant, time seemed to stretch, his eyes locking onto mine in a mixture of fury and disbelief as he toppled backward. Then he was gone, his weight pulling him into the gaping maw of the pit. The dull thud of his body hitting the ground was followed by a chaotic eruption of movement within the snake pit. The coiled predators surged toward him, their sleek, scaly forms writhing with terrifying speed, as though they had been lying in wait for this very moment.



Bara’s screams ripped through the night, a grotesque symphony of rage and terror that sent chills crawling up my spine. The vipers—both constrictors and venomous killers—closed in, their fangs finding flesh with an unsettling precision. He thrashed, his powerful frame bucking against the onslaught, his hands swinging wildly in a futile attempt to fend them off. A massive python wrapped itself around his torso, its powerful coils constricting his chest, while a dozen smaller snakes darted in, striking at his exposed arms and legs. The pit seemed to come alive, the hissing and slithering mixing with Bara’s guttural cries as he tried desperately to pull himself free.

The lantern light above cast flickering shadows over the scene, highlighting the gruesome spectacle below. Blood spattered the snakes, glistening like dark ink in the firelight. Bara’s strength, formidable as it was, began to falter. His screams turned ragged, each one shorter than the last as venom coursed through his veins, paralyzing and weakening him. The python’s coils tightened mercilessly, and Bara’s arms fell limp, his once-defiant roars reduced to choked gasps. His body twitched and convulsed as the vipers finished their grim work, and then, finally, he went still.

For a long moment, I stood there, staring into the writhing mass of serpents as they claimed their prize. The pit seemed to pulse with movement, the coiled pythons tightening around Bara’s limbs and neck with relentless, unfeeling force. His arms, once powerful and defiant, were pinned against his sides as a massive python coiled tighter, compressing his chest with an audible crack of bone. Smaller snakes darted in and out, their scales glistening in the flickering lantern light as they slithered over their kill, their fangs sinking into exposed flesh.

Vipers and adders swarmed over Bara's torso, their heads striking with deadly precision. Each bite left dark puncture wounds, venom seeping into his veins and quickening the paralysis that gripped him. His once-proud roars had turned into choked gurgles, and white foam, tinged with red, bubbled from his mouth. His head lolled back against the writhing bed of serpents, his eyes staring sightlessly into the night sky. Blood trickled from the corners of his mouth, pooling beneath his lifeless body as the vipers continued their grim feast.

The pit’s horrifying contents gradually settled back into their cold, unfeeling rhythm, the creatures weaving through the grotesque tableau as though it were just another meal. The echo of Bara’s final screams lingered in the air, a haunting reminder of the monster he had been and the justice he had faced.

I wiped the blood from my knife against the fabric of my sleeve, the metallic scent mingling with the acrid smoke wafting from the burning remnants of the camp. My heartbeat slowed as I stepped back from the edge, the weight of the encounter settling over me like a shroud. The Reaper had claimed his due, and the world was lighter for it. But there was no triumph in this—only the cold, unyielding sense of necessity.

The lantern light flickered one last time, casting long, distorted shadows across the pit before I turned away. There was still work to be done.

The Skull for the Reaper

The camp was in chaos. The remaining guards fled as the explosive I’d planted ripped through the armory, flames licking at the night sky. I made my way to the pit, careful of the snakes now slithering back into the shadows.

Bara’s body lay still, his face frozen in a final expression of rage and defiance, even in death. The snakes coiled and hissed over him, their movements slowing as I activated the device provided by the elves. A faint hum filled the air as a rune-etched disk emitted a pulse of blue light. The snakes recoiled as if struck, their slithering forms retreating to the far edges of the pit, their menace held at bay by the device’s power.

I climbed into the pit, machete in hand, the blood-stained blade glinting in the dim lantern light. Standing over Bara’s lifeless form, I gripped the machete with both hands and brought it down in a single, decisive stroke. The blade sliced clean through his neck, the sickening crunch of bone and tearing flesh reverberating in the pit. Blood gushed from the severed neck, pooling darkly among the dirt and disturbed scales of the retreating snakes.

I crouched, lifting his severed head by the hair, his eyes still staring sightlessly into the void. White foam, tinged with red, drained from his open mouth, smearing against his jaw. The weight of the skull felt heavier than it should have, imbued with the weight of his crimes and the toll I had collected.

With deliberate care, I placed the head into a black sack, drawing the thick cord tight with a firm twist. The fabric absorbed the blood that seeped from the grisly trophy as I slung it over my shoulder. I climbed out of the pit, the rune disk’s glow fading as the snakes cautiously began to slither back to their grim domain.



I walked to the edge of the camp and lit a cigar, the sharp tang of tobacco cutting through the metallic tang of blood still heavy in the air. The flames devoured the remnants of Bara’s empire behind me, an orange glow licking at the starless sky. The crackling of the fire was a stark contrast to the silence that had descended, broken only by the occasional hiss of the distant snake pit. I felt the weight of the black sack slung over my shoulder, the severed head within a grim reminder of the night’s work.

I took a slow drag, letting the smoke curl from my lips in lazy tendrils, the brief moment of calm a rare indulgence. The cigar’s ember glowed faintly, a small defiance against the dark. As I exhaled, the smoke mixed with the acrid scent of burning wood and blood, creating a heavy, pungent cloud that hung in the air like a specter.

Dropping the cigar to my side, I reached into my coat and pulled out the dossier for the next name. The leather cover was worn, its edges frayed from countless nights like this one. I flipped it open, the faint light of the fire illuminating the grainy photograph inside. The face of tomorrow’s target stared back at me, cold and unfeeling. The accompanying notes detailed their crimes, each line a testament to why their time had come.

I studied the photo, committing every detail to memory. Another monster. Another debt to be paid. The Reaper’s work was relentless, an endless tide of blood and violence that demanded constant tribute. For a brief moment, I felt the familiar pang of weariness settle in my chest, but it passed as quickly as it came. There was no room for hesitation. Not in this line of work.

I took another drag from the cigar, letting the smoke warm my throat before exhaling slowly. “Another day. Another skull,” I muttered to the empty night, my voice low and steady. The words hung in the air, a quiet vow to the task that lay ahead. Tomorrow’s target, Nasir al Mansoor, loomed large in my thoughts. A desert warlord with a penchant for cruelty, he ruled the dunes with fear, his crimes etched into the sands like scars on the earth. The Reaper’s work was never done, and neither was mine.

I flicked the cigar to the ground, grinding it under my boot until the ember was snuffed out. Slipping the dossier back into my coat, I turned toward the shadows, the weight of the bag shifting slightly on my shoulder as I moved. The fire roared behind me, consuming the last remnants of Bara’s legacy, but my eyes were already on the horizon. The next target awaited, and the Reaper’s toll would not be denied.

Comments