The Klaus Diaries: Day Two - Two Doves of Blood
December 26th - Jaques Dupont
Paris, France
Tokyo’s neon jungle stretched endlessly into the night, each glowing sign and billboard casting sharp shadows across the city. From my vantage point, high above the endless sprawl of glass and steel, I flipped open Hiroshi Tanaka’s dossier. The man staring back at me was a contradiction: short, wiry, and unassuming, but with the unmistakable air of power etched into the lines of his face. Hiroshi, a Yakuza Oyabun, wielded control like a master swordsman—cutting swiftly, decisively, and without mercy. His dragon tattoo, curling across his back, spoke of loyalty and honor, but the trail of bodies he left in his wake told another story.
Honor. They like to dress their sins in it. Hiroshi was no different. Behind the facade of tradition, he trafficked in lives—selling women and children, extorting small business owners into ruin, and carving out a kingdom of fear in Tokyo’s underbelly. The file listed the names of those who had crossed him and paid the price in blood. Women, gutted and left in alleyways as warnings. Families, wiped out for daring to refuse his demands. His sins were many, and tonight, they would find their reckoning.
The irony wasn’t lost on me as I glanced at the grainy photo of Hiroshi in the dossier. Earlier that day, his granddaughter had gifted him a pair of doves, hoping they might bring him peace. The gesture might have been touching, if not for the knowledge that the man who accepted that gift without blinking had likely ordered a dozen executions before breakfast.
Two turtle doves. Symbols of love, unity, and peace. It made me sick. A man like Hiroshi didn’t deserve such things. Still, I wouldn’t deny the poetic symmetry. Tonight, those doves would bear silent witness to his end.
Flipping the dossier closed, I stared out over the Tokyo skyline. The Reaper’s deal burned like a brand in the back of my mind. One skull, one month. Hiroshi’s would be the second of twelve. No hesitation. No mercy. I had my orders.
Tokyo’s skyline glowed like the embers of a dying fire, its brilliance a sharp contrast to the dark purpose of my night. Hiroshi Tanaka’s penthouse perched atop a gleaming tower in Shinjuku, a fortress of glass and steel. From my position on the adjacent rooftop, I observed the man himself moving about his domain. The penthouse was a blend of traditional Japanese design and modern luxury, with tatami mats and shoji screens framed by panoramic city views. Hiroshi was a man who lived comfortably between the old and the new—honor and blood, tradition and sin.
The doves his granddaughter had gifted him earlier that day sat in a small wooden cage on the terrace. Hiroshi approached them with what might have been tenderness, but I knew better. A man like him couldn’t truly appreciate the peace they symbolized. Peace wasn’t his nature.
Through the scope of my binoculars, I watched him confer with his men—four of them, each heavily armed and stationed strategically throughout the penthouse. One stood near the entrance, scanning the elevator and stairwell. Two more were stationed in the living area, and the last guarded the terrace door. Their movements were precise, methodical. They weren’t amateurs, but neither was I.
My comm crackled softly in my ear as the elves fed me intel. “Hiroshi has dismissed most of his men for the night,” one said. “He’s planning to practice his kata on the terrace. He told his guards not to disturb him.”
“Good,” I muttered, my voice low and even. “That simplifies things.”
I packed the binoculars away and began preparing.
Infiltration and Confrontation
The Tokyo skyline stretched before me, a neon forest of ambition and sin. Hiroshi Tanaka’s penthouse crowned one of the tallest towers, a fortress of steel and glass perched above the chaos he had sown. A light breeze carried the distant hum of the city to my ears as I stood on the rooftop across from his domain. Hiroshi’s sanctuary was within reach, but the chasm between us was no less guarded than the secrets he buried.
I checked my gear: a grappling gun, steel cable, and enough resolve to bridge any divide. The building was too well-secured for a frontal approach, its elevators and stairwells crawling with security. But the rooftop? That was Hiroshi’s pride and solitude. A place he believed untouchable. I intended to prove him wrong.
The grappling gun fired with a sharp hiss, the cable streaking through the air and biting into the terrace railing with a metallic clink. I tested the line, tugging hard to ensure it would hold. Satisfied, I secured the harness and stepped off the edge, descending into the abyss.
The world below blurred into a sea of lights and shadow as I slid across the divide. The wind tugged at my coat, and my boots touched the terrace with a whisper. I crouched low, letting the shadows fold around me. Hiroshi’s sanctuary was quiet, the hum of an indoor koi pond barely audible over the muffled sounds of the city.
To my left, an aviary perched against the terrace wall, its iron frame cradling the faint cooing of doves. The sight was almost serene, a cruel irony for a man who had turned serenity into a façade for violence.
Moving silently, I approached the glass doors leading to the penthouse. I peered inside. Hiroshi stood near the aviary, his movements deliberate as he fed the doves. His katana rested within arm’s reach, its ornate silver dragon hilt glinting faintly in the low light. The room behind him was spacious, decorated with minimalist precision, a reflection of Hiroshi’s carefully cultivated image of control.
I slipped through the door, my movements soundless. But Hiroshi turned, his back still to me. “I know you’re here,” he said calmly, his voice like a blade drawn in silence. He didn’t look surprised, only resigned. “I have learned to expect this. You are not the first to try and take me. But something tells me you are the last...”
His words weren’t bravado, nor were they fear. They were the quiet acceptance of a man who knew his sins had finally called their due.
I stepped out of the shadows, my boots crunching faintly against the gravel of the terrace. “Hiroshi Tanaka,” I said, my voice low but firm. “Your sins are laid bare. You are a scourge on the earth, and your name is on my "Naughty" list. Your time has come.”
Hiroshi turned to face me, his sharp eyes scanning me with an expression that was part curiosity, part disdain. “The Naughty Boy list,” he said, his lips curling into a faint smile. “How quaint. And you? What are you? Some specter of justice sent to deliver me to the void? Or just a run-of-the-mill assassin with an obsession with the Western Christmas holiday?”
“Call me whatever you like,” I replied. “It won’t change where this ends.”
He tilted his head, the faintest flicker of amusement in his gaze. “Do you think this will change anything? That striking me down will undo the choices I’ve made? The empire I’ve built?”
I met his gaze unflinchingly. “This isn’t about undoing anything. It’s about justice. You’ve sown chaos and death. Tonight, you’ll reap it.”
Hiroshi turned back to the aviary, his movements unhurried. He opened the cage door, releasing the doves into the night. Their wings beat softly against the air, a fleeting symbol of peace that Hiroshi had no right to claim. “Very well,” he said, his hand reaching for the katana. “If this is how it ends, let it end with honor.”
He drew the blade in a single fluid motion, its edge gleaming like liquid fire. The silver dragon etched into the hilt seemed to writhe in the moonlight. Hiroshi stepped forward, his stance calm but poised for action.
I unsheathed my own blade, its weight familiar in my grip. The silence stretched between us, heavy with unspoken truths. The doves had fled, leaving the terrace to two men who had chosen their paths long ago.
“Let’s finish this,” I said, stepping into the circle of light.
The Duel
The rooftop seemed to hold its breath as we squared off, two blades reflecting the cold gleam of justice and inevitability.
Hiroshi Tanaka moved with the deliberate grace of a seasoned warrior, his katana raised just above eye level, the blade gleaming like a shard of moonlight. I mirrored his stance, my own blade held steady, the weight of inevitability heavy in the cold air between us. For a moment, neither of us moved. Our eyes locked, assessing each other, calculating. This was not a battle of brute force—it was a duel of precision, honor, and intent.
The silence was deafening, broken only by the faint whisper of the wind as it ruffled the feathers of the doves still circling above. Hiroshi’s breathing was calm, measured, as if he were already at peace with the outcome. My own breath was steady, though my grip tightened on the hilt of my blade.
He moved first, a testing slash toward my midsection. I pivoted on my heel, letting the blade pass within inches of my coat. I countered with a thrust aimed at his shoulder, forcing him to parry. Sparks flew as our blades kissed, the metallic ring echoing across the rooftop.
We circled each other, our movements deliberate, testing each other's defenses. Hiroshi feinted low, then brought his blade up in a sweeping arc. I stepped back, deflecting the strike with my own blade, the force reverberating up my arm. His skill was undeniable, but I had not come this far to falter.
The pace quickened. Our blades became blurs of silver light, each strike met with a block, each thrust answered with a counter. Hiroshi’s katana sang through the air as he unleashed a flurry of strikes, each one aimed with lethal precision. I deflected, sidestepped, and retaliated, the rooftop becoming a deadly dance of steel and resolve.
A misstep—Hiroshi’s blade nicked my left arm, slicing through the fabric of my coat and drawing blood. I gritted my teeth against the sting, using the pain as fuel. I pressed forward, forcing him onto the defensive with a series of rapid strikes that pushed him back toward the edge of the terrace.
Hiroshi’s breath came faster now, his control slipping. He lunged, committing fully to a powerful overhead strike. I sidestepped, slashing across his chest in a single decisive motion. The blow landed true, the steel biting deep. Hiroshi staggered back, his katana dropping from his hand as he fell to one knee. Blood blossomed across his robes, staining the white silk with crimson.
He looked up at me, his face pale but composed. “Allow me,” he said, his voice steady despite the pain. “To die with honor.”
I nodded, understanding the weight of his request. “I will act as your second,” I said, lowering my blade.
Hiroshi bowed his head slightly in gratitude. He reached into the folds of his robe and withdrew a small tantō blade, its hilt intricately wrapped in black silk. Turning, he moved to the center of the terrace and knelt on the cold stone, his movements deliberate despite his injuries.
The doves, as if sensing the gravity of the moment, settled silently on the aviary, their coos replaced by the solemn weight of impending death. Hiroshi composed himself, closing his eyes briefly as he murmured a quiet haiku, his death poem. Though I couldn’t hear every word, the cadence spoke of fleeting life, the transience of honor, and the inevitability of the end.
With calm resolve, Hiroshi gripped the tantō. He slid the blade across his abdomen in a precise horizontal motion, then turned the blade upward, completing the ritual cut. His face contorted briefly in pain, but his expression remained one of stoic acceptance.
I stepped forward, my katana raised high. The air was heavy with the gravity of the moment, the stillness broken only by the faint rustle of the wind. With a single, clean stroke, I severed Hiroshi’s head, ensuring his suffering ended instantly. The blade struck true, and the sound of steel meeting flesh was swallowed by the night.
Hiroshi’s body slumped forward, lifeless, his head resting neatly on the stone beside him. I lowered my blade and stepped back, bowing slightly to honor the man he had once been before he chose a life of blood and crime. Even the wicked could meet their end with dignity, though their sins could never be erased.
The rooftop was silent save for the faint whisper of the wind. I reached down, wrapping Hiroshi’s head carefully in a black cloth, and placed it in my pack. The elves would not need to come for this one. It was my duty to deliver this prize to the Reaper himself.
Epilogue
The rooftop felt colder now, the weight of what had transpired settling over the city like a shroud. I stood there for a moment, staring at the bloodied stone where Hiroshi Tanaka’s body lay, still in the kneeling position he had assumed for his final act. The doves fluttered briefly in their aviary, their wings slicing through the silence.
Honor, even in death. Hiroshi’s last moments had been a paradox—a man steeped in crime, seeking redemption through a ritual as old as his lineage. I respected his resolve, but respect didn’t erase his crimes, nor the countless lives he had destroyed.
I adjusted the pack on my shoulder, the weight of Hiroshi’s severed head a grim reminder of my duty. The Reaper demanded proof, and proof he would get. Each skull, a macabre tally of justice served, earned me one more month in this eternal contract. Hiroshi’s head would join Marco’s on the long journey to balance the scales of sin.
I turned back once more to the body, the katana resting beside it. The blade, a symbol of the life Hiroshi had chosen, lay gleaming under the pale moonlight. I considered taking it, a trophy of the battle, but dismissed the thought. This mission was never about trophies—it was about the reckoning, the unflinching hand of judgment delivered without bias.
As I stepped toward the edge of the rooftop, the neon glow of Tokyo’s streets below painted the city in colors that seemed far too bright for what had just occurred. The lights mocked the darkness I carried with me, the solemn burden of ensuring justice didn’t waver, even in the face of endless depravity. I unclipped my grappling hook and prepared to cross back to the adjacent building. From there, it would be a matter of slipping away unnoticed, blending into the shadows once more.
But before I left, I reached into my coat pocket and retrieved a cigar. Lighting it, I let the smoke curl around me, mixing with the night air. It was a small ritual, one that reminded me I was still tethered to something human, even as I walked this grim path.
As the ember glowed faintly in the darkness, I pulled out the "Naughty Boy" list on my tablet. Scrolling to the next name, I saw the face of Jacques Dupont staring back at me, his sly smile practically daring me to come for him. Paris would be my next destination.
I took one last drag on the cigar before flicking the stub into the air, watching as it tumbled down toward the streets below, its light extinguished long before it hit the ground. With a final glance at the rooftop, I shot the grappling hook across the gap and slid silently into the night. The hunt continued, and I had a long way to go before this Christmas was over.
x
,%20an%20ageless%20man%20with%20a%20short-cropped%20white%20beard%20and%20hair,%20in%20the%20extreme%20foreground%20of%20.webp)


,%20an%20ageless%20man%20with%20a%20short-cropped%20white%20beard%20and%20hair,%20clashing%20swords%20with%20Hiroshi%20.webp)

,%20an%20ageless%20man%20with%20short-cropped%20white%20hair%20and%20a%20closely%20cropped%20white%20beard,%20sitting%20on%20the%20edge%20o.webp)
The first story was awesome I loved it I'm Berlin starting starting to read number two I guarantee you all going to love it
ReplyDeleteGlad you are enjoying the series. It's daunting committing to 12 action-packed episodes, but I am determined. Thanks for the comment - I look forward to hearing more what you think.
ReplyDelete