The Klaus Diaries: Day One - A drug lord in a pear tree.
December 25th - Marco Rodriguez
Cartagena, Columbia
According to legend, Santa Claus must perform a grisly service once every year during the 12 days of Christmas. To pay the reaper in exchange for 12 more months of life, he must return the skulls of 12 criminal men. This list, known as the "Naughty Boy List" counts 12 of the most irredeemable killers marked for termination. Every Christmas morning, his midnight ride completed, Klaus wakes transformed. Younger and fit, his familiar red suit replaced with scarlett kevlar and his jolly countenance with a look of grim determination, he makes his way to collect the skulls and pay the price. This is his journal.
The moment I laid eyes on Marco Rodriguez's dossier, I knew he was a festering wound on humanity, a blight that needed to be excised. Fifty years old, broad-shouldered, with wavy brown hair and a tan complexion. He’d carved his empire of blood and fear out of the Colombian jungles and cemented it with the shattered lives of his victims. Leader of the "Los Diablos" cartel, his crimes included drug trafficking, extortion, and murder. But what cemented his place on my Naughty Boy List was the massacre in Puerto Viejo—thirty lives snuffed out because a fisherman saw too much.
Tonight, Marco was celebrating Christmas the only way men like him knew how—on his yacht, "El Perel (The Pear Tree)," anchored off Cartagena. Lights blinked festively on its railing, masking the darkness that lived aboard. My elves confirmed his family had left hours ago; only Marco, his lieutenants, and his guards remained. The air was thick with festivity as he reveled in the company of his lieutenants, a private army of cartel members at his side. Their revelry was marked by cigars, bourbon, paid escorts, as well as an assortment of drugs and other vices, all set against the backdrop of Christmas lights strung across the yacht. Marco and his lieutenants had already celebrated with their families; now, this was a party among brothers. The wolves were reveling, free of their sheep. I would ensure their celebration ended in silence.
The dinghy bobbed under my weight as I rowed toward the yacht. The air was heavy with salt, the water dark as ink beneath the crescent moon. My wetsuit clung to me like a second skin, a combat knife strapped to my chest, a silenced Beretta holstered at my side.
As I neared the boat, the muffled sounds of music and laughter drifted across the water. The scent of cigar smoke mixed with the faint tang of bourbon, a sharp reminder of the depravity above. I slipped into the shadows and scaled the side of the yacht, my gloves gripping the cold metal railing as I pulled myself onto the deck. The night clung to me as I crouched behind a lifeboat, scanning the movements of the sentries.
Above, the laughter grew louder—Marco and his lieutenants basking in their ill-gotten spoils. Below, his guards patrolled, complacent but armed. Seven sentries, all of them criminals in their own right, though not destined for the Reaper's list tonight. They were obstacles. Nothing more.
The sentries guarding the yacht's perimeter would have to be taken out. I knew that they all led lives of crime and had landed on some level of naughty list, so I grimly prepared myself. Swiftly, I climbed the side of the yacht, crawling quietly over the railing. Hiding behind a lifeboat, I observed the sentries' movements as they patrolled the vessel. My senses were attuned to their every step as I prepared to infiltrate their ranks.
The first sentry strolled casually along the deck, his footsteps a soft rhythm against the yacht’s polished surface. He hummed a faint tune, oblivious to the shadow creeping behind him. With a flick of my wrist, a black-bladed throwing knife spun through the air. It sank into his throat with a wet thunk, cutting off his song mid-note. He staggered, clutching at the blade as crimson bloomed across his shirt. A choking gurgle escaped his lips before he collapsed, lifeless, his eyes staring blankly into the night.
I climbed to the second deck, pausing in the shadows to survey my next targets. Two guards stood by the stairs, their postures lazy and their submachine guns held loose. They chuckled over some joke, their voices low but audible over the distant thrum of music from the main cabin.
I stepped into their line of sight, my silenced Beretta already raised. Before their eyes could widen in alarm, two muted pops broke the stillness. The first guard's head snapped to the side as a bullet punched clean through his skull, a mist of blood spraying against the railing. His partner barely had time to react before the second shot tore through his chest. They fell together, slumping against the railing, leaving long, glistening streaks of blood as their bodies slid to the deck.
A third sentry turned the corner, his flashlight cutting a beam across the carnage. His sharp intake of breath told me he’d seen the bodies. He froze, panic etched across his face. That hesitation was all I needed. Dropping to one knee, I lined up my shot and fired. The bullet caught him square in the forehead. His skull snapped back with the force, and he collapsed like a marionette with its strings severed, blood pooling beneath his head.
I moved toward the main cabin, my footfalls silent against the deck. Two more guards flanked the cabin door, their submachine guns hanging carelessly by their sides. They were engrossed in conversation, oblivious to the bloodshed creeping ever closer.
I took a step into the light, both pistols raised. The first guard noticed me, his mouth opening to shout, but I fired before he could form a word. The bullet drilled into his throat, silencing him forever. He dropped his weapon, clutching at the gaping wound as he sank to his knees. His partner reached for his gun, but I was faster. The second shot caught him in the chest, the force knocking him back against the cabin wall. He slid down slowly, leaving a dark trail as he slumped lifeless to the floor.
The faint smell of freshly brewed coffee greeted me as I entered the galley. The last sentry sat at the counter, his back to the door, cradling a steaming mug in his hands. He was oblivious to the carnage just outside.
I approached silently, my pistol aimed steadily at the back of his head. The soft click of the safety disengaging made him stiffen slightly, but he never had a chance to turn around. The silenced shot was no louder than a whisper. His head jerked forward, and the mug slipped from his fingers, shattering on the tiled floor. He slumped over the counter, his blood dripping into the remnants of his drink, staining the coffee a deep, viscous red.
I paused, surveying the galley. The faint hum of the refrigerator was the only sound now, a quiet backdrop to the carnage I’d left behind. Bending down, I retrieved the sentry’s MAC-10, its weight familiar in my hands. I chambered a round and adjusted the strap before moving toward the door that led to the main cabin.
It was time to finish this. Marco Rodriguez’s debauchery was about to come to a violent end, and I was bringing the full force of judgment to his doorstep.
As I burst through the galley door onto the main deck, the scene unfolded in a whirlwind of debauchery. Smoke and the sharp scent of cigars filled the air, mingling with the unmistakable aroma of bourbon. Blinking Christmas lights cast a surreal and colorful glow, flickering relentlessly in contrast with the dark waters below.
The galley door burst open, slamming against the wall with a metallic clang that silenced the room as if a switch had been flipped. The pulsating beat of reggaeton halted, the grind of the bass replaced by the sudden hush of disbelief. A cloud of cigar smoke hung thick in the air, mingling with the acrid tang of bourbon and the chemical bite of cocaine. Multicolored Christmas lights blinked and buzzed, casting a garish glow over the scene like the cheap facade of a holiday gone wrong.
Marco’s lieutenants sat sprawled across plush leather sofas, their tailored shirts unbuttoned and glinting with sweat. A table before them bore a banquet of vice—piles of white powder, half-empty bottles of expensive liquor, and ashtrays overflowing with smoldering cigars. Two strippers froze mid-performance, their scantily clad bodies gleaming under the blinking lights, glitter mixing with the scent of cheap perfume.
From my vantage, I took it all in at a glance. This wasn’t just a party—it was a den of predators, each one a hardcase with a long rap sheet and a smug sense of invincibility. Every man in the room, aside from Marco himself, was a ranking member of the criminal “Naughty Boy” list. Taking them down would be a bloody business, but it would be worth it.
I stepped forward, the red glow of the Christmas lights flickering across my face. My voice, when I spoke, cut through the silence like a blade. "Marco Rodriguez. Your sins are laid bare. Your place on the Naughty Boy list has been sealed. Judgment has arrived."
Marco leaned back in his chair, his cigar clamped between his teeth. His lieutenants shifted, their hands twitching toward weapons, but none dared move just yet. Marco’s dark eyes gleamed with malice as he exhaled a plume of smoke and grinned. “You think you can walk in here, Santa Claus? You got no idea who you’re fucking with.
I didn’t answer. Words were wasted on the damned.
The silence shattered with the first gunshot. Carlos, seated closest to the door, went for his weapon, but I was faster. My silenced pistol barked, the round punching through his forehead. His body slumped forward onto the table, scattering powder and whiskey.
Ricardo was next, leaping from his seat and firing a shot that went wide. I pivoted, sending a burst from my SMG into his chest. Blood sprayed across the sofa as he staggered back, his mouth opening and closing like a fish gasping for air, before collapsing lifeless onto the cushions.
Manny roared and charged barehanded, his massive frame barreling toward me like a bull. I sidestepped his first swing, using the momentum to drive the butt of my SMG into his temple. He reeled but came at me again, his fists swinging wildly. I ducked a haymaker, grabbing a broken bottle from the table and slamming it into his side. Manny let out a guttural scream as I twisted the jagged glass, the shards tearing through muscle and flesh. With a final blow, I cracked the empty gun across his face, shattering his nose and dropping him to the floor in a heap.
Ramon, the last lieutenant, moved with a knife in hand, his steps precise and calculated. He feinted left, lunging at me with surprising speed. I twisted away, catching his wrist and wrenching it hard. The blade clattered to the floor, and I drove an elbow into his jaw. Ramon stumbled but recovered, his fists raised. I kicked the knife toward him, daring him to pick it up. He did. I grabbed his arm and twisted, the blade turning in his grip. With a swift motion, I drove it deep into his chest. His eyes widened, the knife still clutched in his hand as he sank to his knees, gurgling his last breath.
Javier darted toward me with a savage grin, brass knuckles gleaming as he threw a punch aimed at my jaw. I leaned back, narrowly avoiding the strike, and delivered a sharp kick to his knee. He stumbled but recovered quickly, swinging again, his fists moving like pistons. I caught his wrist mid-swing and twisted hard, eliciting a sharp yelp of pain. Using his momentum, I drove him backward with a powerful shove.
Javier hit the wine cooler headfirst. The glass door shattered, shards flying in all directions as his skull collided with the shelves inside. The sickening crunch of his neck snapping was audible even over the grinding pulse of the music. He slumped forward, his head resting grotesquely inside the fridge, blood cascading down the glass in thick rivulets. His body twitched violently for a moment, legs spasming as the last remnants of life drained out of him, leaving a macabre tableau of carnage.
“Chilled to perfection,” I muttered, wiping glass shards from my sleeve as I turned toward the final target.
Miguel didn’t hesitate. He lunged at me, a lead pipe swinging in a deadly arc. I sidestepped the blow, the pipe smashing into a nearby table, sending splinters and glass flying. Miguel swung again, relentless, but I ducked under the strike and closed the distance. His eyes widened as I drew my tanto blade, the steel gleaming in the chaotic light.
I moved quickly, striking with the precision of a surgeon. The blade slashed across his forearm, severing tendons and forcing him to drop the pipe. Before he could recover, I plunged the knife into his underarm, twisting it savagely. Miguel screamed, blood spurting from the severed artery. I didn’t stop. A rapid series of stabs followed, each one finding its mark—his chest, his neck, his side. Miguel staggered backward, his mouth opening and closing like a fish gasping for air as blood poured from his wounds.
He fell to his knees, clutching futilely at the crimson rivers streaming from his body. I stepped forward, placing a boot against his chest, and shoved him onto his back. His eyes glazed over, staring blankly at the ceiling as the last flicker of life left him.
Six down. Each death was a grim punctuation to the sins they had committed. All that remained now was the king of this bloody empire—Marco Rodriguez.
Marco stood amidst the carnage, his imposing frame framed by the blinking glow of Christmas lights. Blood smeared across the walls and floor like macabre decorations, and yet the drug lord showed no sign of fear.
"Listen, asshole," Marco sneered, his voice dripping with derision. "I don't know who you think you are, but if someone thinks they can get the drop on me with some macho Santa Claus bullshit, they got another thing coming." He reached into his holster and drew a gold-plated revolver—a gaudy piece more suited to flaunting wealth than killing. "You picked the wrong damn yacht."
Before he could finish whatever threat he had in mind, I moved. Charging forward like a freight train, I batted the revolver aside with a sharp strike to his wrist. The gun clattered to the floor, and my hand shot out to clamp around his throat. His eyes widened briefly in shock as I drove him backward, slamming him against the cabin door with a thud that rattled the frame.
"You've been found irredeemable, Marco," I growled, my voice low and guttural. "And I'm here to deliver your reckoning."
Marco was quick for a man of his size. He drove his knee into my ribs, forcing me to release him as pain exploded across my side. He followed up with a wild haymaker, the force of it enough to stagger me back a step. But I recovered quickly, slipping under his next punch and landing a brutal uppercut to his jaw. Marco stumbled, spitting blood, but the grin never left his face.
"You're tough, I'll give you that," he spat, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "But I’ve put tougher men in the ground."
He lunged at me like a bull, his massive arms swinging wildly. I sidestepped his charge, driving an elbow into the back of his neck as he passed. He roared in frustration, spinning to face me, and the real fight began.
Marco fought dirty, as expected. He grabbed a bottle of bourbon from a nearby table and smashed it against the edge, the jagged remains glittering in his hand like a crude dagger. He lunged, slashing wildly. I dodged the first swipe, but the second nicked my forearm, drawing blood. The pain only fueled my resolve.
I seized his wrist in a vice grip and twisted hard, forcing him to drop the weapon. A quick headbutt to his face left his nose shattered, blood streaming down his lips. Marco roared again, more animal than man, and tackled me, sending us both crashing into a table that splintered beneath our weight.
He straddled me, his massive hands aiming for my throat, but I grabbed the broken leg of the table and drove it into his ribs. He howled in agony, rolling off me, and I wasted no time. I was on him in an instant, raining down blows. Each punch felt like justice, the crunch of his bones beneath my fists a symphony of retribution.
But Marco wasn’t done. With a desperate burst of strength, he kicked me off and scrambled to his feet. He grabbed a chair and swung it with all his might, the edge catching my shoulder and sending a jolt of pain down my arm. I ducked under his next swing and countered with a devastating hook to his temple. He staggered, his legs wobbling, but he wouldn’t go down.
“You don’t get it, do you?” he gasped, his voice ragged. “You can’t kill me. I’m untouchable.”
“Not tonight,” I growled, driving my knee into his gut. He doubled over, and I locked him in a chokehold. He struggled, clawing at my arms, but I held firm, tightening my grip until his struggles weakened.
With a roar, I lifted him off his feet and brought him crashing down onto my knee. The sickening snap of his spine echoed through the cabin, followed by his guttural scream. I released him, and he slumped to the floor, his legs useless beneath him. Marco clawed at the blood-streaked floor, his breath coming in ragged gasps as he tried in vain to crawl away.
"Please," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "Have mercy."
I stood over him, my chest heaving. "Mercy?" I echoed, my voice cold and unyielding. "Where was your mercy for the countless lives you destroyed?"
Reaching up, I grabbed a string of Christmas lights from the wall, their cheerful glow a stark contrast to the carnage around us. I wrapped them around his neck, tightening them until his feeble struggles ceased. His eyes bulged, his face turning a mottled shade of red, and then I dragged his limp body out onto the deck.
The ocean wind whipped around us as I hoisted him over the railing. The lights went taut, and Marco’s neck snapped with a grisly crack. His body hung there, swaying gently in the breeze, a grotesque ornament against the night sky.
"Deck the fucking halls," I muttered, attaching a tracker to the string of lights. The dark elves would be here soon to finish the job.
,%2050%20years%20old%20and%20muscular,%20sitting%20on%20a%20deck%20chair%20on%20the%20deck%20of%20a%20yacht%20at%20night.%20.png)
Taking a seat on a deck chair near the lifeless body of one of Marco's henchmen, I glanced around and pulled a cigar from my vest. I set it ablaze and pulled the "Naughty Boy" list out of my pack. I looked again at Marco's picture and record - satisfied it was a clean kill and marked the drug lord as terminated and entered the number of extra casualties and a brief description of the clean-up needed.
Exhaling a plume of smoke, I looked out at the bustling city of Cartegena... a few less rabid dogs on those streets as of tonight. I knew where I lopped off the head, another would emerge in time, and he himself may one day land on my list, but for now the job was done. 1 down and the party is just getting started. I took a moment and then flipped to the next target.
My tablet held the image of the next name on my list, a constant reminder of the relentless journey that lay ahead. Hiroshi Tanaka's face stared back at me, and I couldn't help but ponder what awaited me in the neon-lit streets of Tokyo. The hunt continued, for there could be no respite in my relentless quest to bring justice to the wicked.


%20from%20a%20side%20or%203_4%20perspective,%20walking%20up%20the%20stairs%20of%20a%20large%20yacht%20at%20night.%20Klaus%20is%205.png)


Comments
Post a Comment